Saturday 20 August 2011

All cupcakes great and small

When I was informed that August is the month of 'Cupcake Day for the RSPCA', I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect of getting involved in an initiative that combines my passion for cupcakes with the chance to get my ever-enthusiastic friends together and support such a good cause. Essentially, the Cupcake Day encourages animal-lovers to host a morning or afternoon tea and collect funds for the RSPCA's various programs. This year, I was inspired to host a cupcake day for my girlfriends, the perfect occasion to create some animal-themed cupcake...

My chocolate-vanilla swirl cupcakes with chocolate and peanut-butter frosting and assorted animal themed decorations!

I felt that it was fitting for this particular cupcake day to create some vegan cupcakes, the obvious animal-friendly choice (also cakes without dairy are suitable for lactose intolerant people like me!) I decided to create a fairly simple cupcake base, drawing on elements from several different vegan cupcake recipes that I have tried and tested over the years. For both visual appeal and taste, I settled on baking a batch of marbled chocolate and vanilla cakes, with beautiful intertwined swirls of cocoa and vanilla scented sponge. Making marble cakes always produces a striking result and is relatively easy to master - just add spoonfulls of different flavoured batters into the cupcake papers and use a knife or a skewer to create a free-form marbled design.

The marbled cakes just prior to icing - the marbled effect is best appreciated when the cupcakes are actually cut in half (or more accurately, when someone takes a bite out of one!), but this still gives a general sense of the technique
For decorations, I went with two different frosting options, a light, fluffy peanut butter frosting, and a richer chocolate one. I then exercised a great degree of creative licence to add all manner of critter-related decorations, from little chocolate cookies depicting Australian native fauna to candy farm animals and the slightly more tenuous 'tiny teddies', not exactly a species of note in Australia but still delicious and worth including on my animal cupcakes!

The finished product, my celebration of all creatures great, small, and largely fictional (tiny teddies), perfectly framed against an animal-print themed serviette!  


I hope to post again an update of the event and also with the vegan chocolate swirl recipe for those interested! I am looking forward to seeing the creative cupcake skills of my good friend Kate tomorrow and also having a chance to embrace the animal loving theme in all it's glory!

xx
Anne
Planning to add some animal-themed flair to the proceedings in a leopard print dress...matching outfits to serviettes is becoming a habit!


No comments:

Post a Comment