Wednesday 7 September 2011

Spring fling treats to tempt...

In honour of the first beautiful days of Sydney springtime, I was inspired to create a batch of cupcakes that combine the fresh and delicate flavours of the Spring harvest with whimsical floral decorations perfect to herald the arrival of the new season. This week, I was particularly inspired by the beauty of Spring blooms, which offer a glorious palette of vibrant colours and enticingly sweet fragrances. Recently, I was lucky to have the chance to see the incredible floral displays at David Jones as part of the Floriography festival, and I dutifully battled the crowds of fellow floral enthusiasts (largely of the octagenerian set...) to capture some photos of the stunning blooms.
One of my favourite vibrantly coloured floral displays from this year's Floriography...
I looked for a fellow floral-enthusiast to capture my photo with the gorgeous floral display but given the average age of Floriography spectators was around 80, I didnt have much luck finding someone with the skills to operate my Iphone camera, so settled on some 'autoportraiture'!!
 When my mind turns to the tastes and scents of springtime, I am immediately drawn to the zingy sweetness of succulent red berries combined with the aromatic sweetness of vanilla. It was this fusion of flavours that inspired me to create my Teddy Bears' Picnic cupcakes, miniature vanilla-infused sponge cakes studded with juicy mixed berries and flecked with toasted almonds.
Teddy Bears' Picnic cupcakes, a celebration of spring-time flavours and colours!
For the decoration, I created a simple but luscious strawberry frosting to complement the vanilla cake and the sweet, slightly tart berries within. I then drew on my considerable passion for all things floral, embellishing each frosted cupcake with miniature sugar flowers, honey-flavoured tiny teddies, and pastel-hued hundreds and thousands!

My first attempt to distill the flavours and colours of the season into cupcake form...
My absolute favourite flowers from the Floriography display
The official season of pastel-coloured floral cardigans is definitely something I can embrace!
As spring has most definitely 'sprung', I am excited by the prospect of all the wonderful things this season has to offer, from delicious sweet flavour combinations, the scent of spring flowers, more days spent in the sunshine, and more chances to sport light springtime cardigans!
xx
Anne

1 comment:

  1. Those teddy bear cupcakes look unbelievable.. I love your blog & these pics! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete